EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stoneking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 07:42:27 -0500
Dear Everett Lee

Just to set the record straight... I live in Woodstock, NY,
NOT Australia. Am here writing the third and final play of a
trilogy of plays about the artist in contemporary society. The
first play - SIXTEEN WORDS FOR WATER - is about Pound.
The second - ESIENSTEIN IN MEXICO - is about Sir Gay
(Eisenstein). And the third is about Soutine. (sort of).

Thanks for your comments. You can read Part one of a
long article I have written about Pi O at Suite101.com
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/performance_poetry
It is posted now... though the juiciest part (re: Pi
and Pound) comes in Part two, which will be posted in a
fortnight or so.

I have not seen THE LIMEY, I confess, but I am sure it
is not any more fugue-like than many many films I could
call your attention to... Schpesi's Devil's Playground comes
to mind. But there is no need to compile lists... what
we are really talking about is an articulate subtext of
images... the saying through the unsaid... the creation
of the work of art as if it is happening NOW in the eye,
ear, mind of the beholder - the essential meaning of the
idea "Make It New" - through a kind of creative hiding.
It seems to me that thisis the lesson of Modernism,
if one must speak in terms of lessons.

Stoneking