EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 19:26:55 -0500
Comments:
PAPER PROPOSALS: Following upon the panel, "Charles Olson and
Subjectivity," presented at last year’s American Literature Association,
Baltimore (May 1997), I seek proposals for papers on related themes.
This year again, the Charles Olson Society will sponsor a session at the
ALA annual conference (May 28-31) in San Diego. Last year’s panel
explored the reception of Olson’s poetics by women, interrogating
constructions of gender and sexuality in his work while seeking to
evaluate the contemporary relevance of his poetics. For this year’s
session, I hope to find proposals that measure Olson’s poetics (or his
practice) against ethnic and postcolonial critiques of the ways in which
mainstream cultural productions suppress or reify the "other." Proposals
for papers concerning gender, sexuality, and language are also welcome.
The session is open both to studies that historicize Olson’s
contributions to post World War II poetics and to studies that question
the relevance of Olson’s poetics to current practice.

Please contact me by return e-mail no later than Jan. 22, 1998 or write
Don Wellman, Daniel Webster College, Nashua, NH 03063.