EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

"Jonathan P. Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:07:36 -0500
Let's not forget that "dross" takes us back to Homer Pound's work assaying
silver and gold in the Philadelphia Mint.  Ezra recalled the different
processes with remarkable precision in print and out-loud many times,
including in the Donald Hall interview (a history of the Mint from the
time of Homer's employment details the procedures and mentions Homer as
well).

Anyone who orders my dissertation should beware that I got this wrong when
I said Pound got it wrong.  The crucible used in the gold refining process
used by Homer does indeed absorb impurities, so that the pure gold does
indeed remain.

Jonathan Gill
Columbia University