EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Burt Hatlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 11:28:55 -0400
19th International Ezra Pound Conference 2001
Ezra Pound and the Twentieth Century
Universiti de Paris-Sorbonne, France
Call for Papers

The 19th International Ezra Pound Conference will take place between
the 5th and the 7th of July 2001 at the Sorbonne in Paris, France.
Although Paris, and France at large, play a major part in the
development of Ezra Pound's poetics and poetry the theme of the
conference will encompass Pound's relations to his time in and outside
the French scope. We will of course welcome contributions dealing with
the transitional but crucial years Pound spent in Paris and the
numerous contacts and friendships he developed there, but do not wish
to limit the conference's focus to this aspect. We would like to have
contributions considering Pound's links with other poets and artists,
as well as his vision of the contemporary world outside the arts.
Pound's concern with the actualization of the past in the present and
his insistence on the active role to be played by the poet in all
fields of social and cultural life seem of tantamount importance at a
time of reflection on the evolution of poetry over one century. Ezra
Pound remains one of the poets we go back to with the hope of gaining a
better understanding of his and our time and we would like the
conference to dwell on this topic.  Several sessions will thus be
devoted to Pound and Paris, but "Ezra Pound and the Twentieth Century"
will definitely be the wider theme of the proceedings. In line with
this general orientation we will invite several contemporary poets to
participate in poetry readings, and will provide a lecture on Vorticism
at the Centre Georges Pompidou with a tour of the Museum focused on
"Pound's artists."  If you would like to take part in this Paris
conference by offering a paper, please signal your intention by July
31, 2000 (we need to know so as to seek funding), then send your final
proposal and a synopsis of 500 words by October 15, 2000 to:  Hilhne
Aji  Universiti de Paris-Sorbonne  U.F.R. d'anglais  1 rue Victor
Cousin  75005 Paris  France  e-mail: [log in to unmask]  If
you have an e-mail address, please mention it as further information
would then travel faster to you.