EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:32:50 -0700
Diana

I didn't point, Pound did.  For further very direct education pointers see
"ABC of Reading" by Ezra Pound.

Be careful for, as Carrol Cox pointed out,  Pound's path led to fascism and
virulent anti-Semitism.  Of course it is not the knowledge along the path
that is dangerous but rather the obsessive and damaged personality that
molded that knowledge.  Be especially careful of Pound's "charged language".
"Charged language" distorts valid observation for the user's purpose, both
benign and malignant.  Always be cognizant of the user's purpose or you will
become his/her tool.  My point is that some of the "truth" which Pound
discovered from that knowledge was a very destructive "truth" and some was
very beautiful "truth".  Enjoy and grow with the one and learn from the
other.

For a woman of the same poetic stature as Pound who was his absolute
contemporary and peer see the writings of H. D. (Hilda Doolittle).
Marianne Moore is another.  Again I am not pointing, Pound already pointed
to these women.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM