EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Robert E. Kibler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E Kibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:57:57 -0500
On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:15:58 -0500 wrote...
>I can't imagine the typo would cause any problem for Poundians, but just
>for the record the phrase "not serious" below should of course be "serious."

Well, now that you bring it up--how did folk in 1808 value Pope?  Wordsworth
had published his 1798 Preface, and that Augustan sense of balance which Pope's
verse embodied  was the antithesis to romantic verse--it chopped thought into
couplets, so impeded the development and extension of ideas and emotional
power.  Are you suggesting that the intelligible reader of 1808 would rightly
find Pope stilted, and are you then wondering whether or not Pound will be
found stilted in ten years by our kids, as was Pope then?  Jus wondrin.

>> What do you think: can it be that in ten
>>years our kids are going to regard Pound the way young people regarded Pope
>>in, say, 1808, and for the same intelligible and not serious reasons?
>
>Jonathan Morse
>hgea.org

Robert E. Kibler
Department of English
University of Minnesota

                fortunatus et ille, deos qui novit agrestis,
                Panaque Silvanumque senem Nymphasque sorores.