EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"A. David Moody" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A. David Moody
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:30:01 -0700
Thanks to Rebecca Beasley, Archie Henderson and Sylvester Pollett.
Also to Antony Ozturk.  The identification of "Poole" as Henry Rankin Poore,
and the book as "Pictorial Composition" seems our best guess.  (A minor
detail: Rebecca Beasley gives the publisher of the 1903 6th revised ed. as
Baker and Taylor of New York, while Archie Henderson gives G.P.Putnam's
Sons, 1903, but that's easily checked out.)   I had wondered if the book
could possibly have been Arthur Wesley Dow's "Composition: A Series of
Exercises in Art Structure for the Use of Students and Teachers" (1899 and
many later editions).  There would be intriguing connections with Fenollosa
and with Georgia O'Keeffe.  But it is unlikely that Pound's verbal memory
would have slipped from "Dow" to "Poole", while "Poole" for "Poore" could be
a simple mis-hearing by the interviewer Donald Hall.   Thanks to all for
providing a probability to fill the vacuum in which speculation would
flourish.

David Moody