EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Dobbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 14:17:57 -1000
He was a New Critic only for about 10 years (1936-46).

By '47, he's writing articles complaining about Leavis and Richards:
"Inside Blake and Hollywood". The Sewanee Review, Vol. 55, No. 4 (Oct. - Dec., 1947), pp. 710-715

Having met Lewis, the world's first "media ecologist", in '43 and "swearing allegiance" to him in an article in '44,
he began to show "Mechanical Bride" slides by '45 or '46.

By '49, he's becoming a media theorist and writing to Kenner that he's going to promote Lewis more.
See New Zealander Andrew Chrystall's PhD (2007).

Meeting Pound in June '48 may have had an influence in his decision.

He comes out of the closet once he gets his tenure in '52.