EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 14:51:45 EDT
you have used the word "astonish" here, and I, too, am astonished, but for
quite different reasons.  your claim that "To be against big  money, as Pound
is, has almost always, *in practice*, led to  racism and one or another form
of authoritarian thought" goes against every social experience I've ever had.
 to the contrary, in my experience, it's always been the elites who have
promoted racism, usually as a way of keeping the various elements of the
general population at each other's throats.  indeed, in current observations,
it's the aspiring classes who're most likely to denounce others -- that is,
those who'd like to join the privileged elites.  it's true that racism, in
particular, has been widespread in the lower economic classes, but frequently
-- I'm tempted to say usually -- it becomes intensified over economic issues.
 Pound's opposition to the devastating policies of the moneyed class were not
predicated on racism, but on the effects of these policies.  he was
particularly opposed to high interest rates, as you no doubt know.  as far as
I'm concerned, he was absolutely correct in associating big money with social
misery, a topic that has some relevance to our times.  I don't accept your
premise that, "Placed in J. P. Morgan's social position,  you or I or Pound
would act exactly as Morgan did (or soon find ourselves displaced by someone
who would)."  Pound never aspired to the social position of J. P. Morgan, and
would never have done what Morgan (and the rest of the robber barons) did to
attain his social position.  neither would I, although apparently you might,
given your remarks above.  Pound may well have been in error regarding the
control of capitalism through social action, but his error was not one of
sincerity or ethics.

In a message dated 05/29/2000 11:19:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,