EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Stephen Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:23:48 +0200
-----Original Message-----
From: "Stephen Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 11:55:57 +0200
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject:
Hope you don't mind me reusing this message to the HD group as means of introduction.
Hello all! I'm new to this list, and not being a seasoned user of IT, I hope I've done what's necessary to join the group.(I think I have, but I've received some contradictory status messages, and haven't yet received any messages from the group: hence my doubt.)
I live in Warsaw, Poland, where I teach English. Born in Sydney, Australia, I've lived for 20 years in London, mainly, but with several stints teaching here in Warsaw.
My love of HD was born of my studies of EP during my 20s.(I'm mid 40s, if you were wondering, and, yes, I know I should have taken a course in IT by now.) Though I greatly admire Pound, it is mainly as a teacher and influence, not so much as a poet: I concluded, after many years studying modernist poetry, that HD was more truly a poet than Pound, even than Eliot. This is something I hope to discuss with the group.
I have scant opportunity here to teach HD: most of my students have deadened their sensibilities with business studies, and my attempts to revive them have only jeopardised my job prospects. Business English is what's in demand here: I've never lived in a country where Humanities/Arts is considered so unimportant, and where so many sensitive looking young people bury themselves in such studies as Marketing, Management etc. But I hope I've been able to offer an alternative vision to at least a few of them, and have found HD's poetry the best means for this.
Next week I'm going to Venice and Florence for a week. (I hope to pour a libation at EP's grave in Venice.)
Well, that's me introduced! I promise to keep more closely to the list topic in future.
Hope to hear from the group soon.

--

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

--