EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sarah Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 12:51:20 GMT
I've been following the discussion of Pound's appeal to 'younger' readers
with interest/amusement. One thing I might add, as a UK-dwelling Pound
reader, is that, despite all the references to the wide availability of
Pound's work (in the US I assume), getting his work is a real problem here.
Even though the Faber catalogue lists a few texts, they are not actually in
print. I have spoken to the guy at Faber who handles Pound for the UK and he
told me that there is little or no demand here for his work, and I should
try to get what I need from the US. This means that none of Pound's prose is
in print here, and what texts are available are often not stocked in
bookshops, i.e. a basic _Selected Poems_ and a rather pricey edition of
_Cantos_ (thankfully, I picked up my copy 2nd-hand) ... For example, I had
to order _Personae_ (the N.D. ed.) from the US and it cost me the equivalent
of $25 ... I have had to pick up what biogs. and critical material I can 2nd
hand or remaindered. Of course, I have the University library (and I don't
seem to be competing with anyone else in the Pound section!) but of course I
want my copies of so many things ... I do use Amazon Books now, but then I
know what I'm looking for, more or less - what hope for the casual browser
in the poetry section of a *real* bookshop?

Thanks for the input on Pound biogs. recently: Carpenter does seem to come
out on top, but with 2 new works in the pipeline (does anyone know when?)
his position may be under threat. As for the Wilhelm trilogy (2nd favourite
at the moment) I'll have to throw myself at the mercy of the British Library
if I'm ever going to get a look at them!

Sarah
** How shall we know all the friends **
** whom we meet on strange roadways? **