EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:06:03 -0400
One might read the singular "il fiorentino" as a part-for-whole, as in "the
football player in those days wore very little protective padding"  and
therefore substitute for the idiom a plural construction: football players
back then...

Also, shouldn't we expect  to find <uppercase>I</upper case>l
<uppercase>F</uppercase>iorentino if Pound had intended that phrase to be a
moniker for Dante?  Does the MS/typescript (?) have lower case?

Tim Romano