EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stoneking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:25:04 -0400
I find Mr P's continuing, heated, personal attacks on
me - "this Billy fellow" - unduly vicious and vehement
given the fact that my only desire in sending out the
script was to bring to the group's attention a piece
of dramatic writing about Pound which (i believed)
might open up a fertile ground of discussion, and one
which many Pound scholars have misunderstood,
(e.g.: one biographer writing that the Wandjina were
African deities!) The play has been well-received by
audiences and critics round the world, and I was
not looking for either kudos or markets... only
interested readers and a play of ideas.  I feel like
reminding Mr P of Pound's view: "you can spot
the bad critic when he starts with the poet instead
of the poem."  I have the feeling he'd like to ride
me out of town - or the group - on rail. And for what?
Wanting to share another line of thought - another
point of view?

Please understand, I do I see this group as being "my
audience". The play wasn't written for you. And besides,
you're muchtoo small and lacking in influence to do
anything at all for me in terms of the theatre world... a
world which I am sure many of you stay well clear of.
However, I would suggest to Mr P -  assuming he is
possessed of intellectual curiosity  - that he at least read
the play before slanging off at me. He might be
pleasantly surprised. Mary and others associated with
the Pound estate read it in ms form before it was published
by Harper/Collins,  and gave it their blessings, as well
as permission to quote from Pound's poems, etc.

Again... if there is anyone left in the forum who has
not read the play or who is willing to set aside whatever
prejudices which might be keeping them from reading it,
it can be accessed at

URL  http://mycomm.excite.com/mycomm/browse.asp?cid=129973

Having said this I will say no more.... let's finish it here, all right?

another measured response (!)  from Billy Marshall Stoneking