EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 08:47:14 -0400
Wei,
Do you see no merit whatseover in the view that a poet, who is attracted to
Eleusis and whose work is full of references to the otherworld and the
underworld, might value the concept of religious mystery for reasons that do
not involve control of the workers?

Perhaps you were angered by my telling you, in some many words, that you are
becoming predictable. Even so, remember your tendency to reduce contrary
opinion to absurdity ("preserve God's mystery like putting jam in a jar").
If anything, Wei, translating the ritual into the vernacular might be
regarded as an attempt to make the experience more palatable for the
contemporary consumer congregation.

Look more closely at the passage you quoted from Pound:

> > >   Mass ought to be in Latin, unless you could do it in
> > >   Greek or Chinese.  In fact, any abracadabra that no
> > >   bloody member of the public or a half-educated ape
> > >   of a clargimint cd. think he understood

Let's burn a few straw men:

That Pound is able to imagine the Mass in Chinese shows that his reasons for
wanting the Mass in Latin do not stem from any notion of philological or
historical accuracy, are not akin to the rigid opinions of certain
musicologists who insist that pieces be played on period instruments.

That Pound would accept "any abracadabra" (ile. any mumbo-jumbo) as the
language of the Mass shows that his primary criterion is that the language
be unintelligible.

That Pound regarded the celebrant of the Mass as a "half-educated ape of a
clargimint" (play on "varmint") shows that he does not regard the clergy as
an elect class.

That Pound refers to the public in less than glowing terms ("bloody member
of the public") shows that he does make a distinction between the elect and
everyone else.  Who are the elect? Who are the high-priests? They who have
been initiated into the mysteries. And who are they? Artists.

Why should the ritual language be unintelligible? Because it inculcates (I
use the word advisedly) the notion that an understanding of these mysteries
is not to be had by any Tom Dick or Harry of a layman or by any Father
Michael, Father Gregorio, or Father Stanislaus of a clergyman, who has
happened to pass the required courses at the seminary and can wave his
doctor of divinity diploma around.  I leave aside the possibility also that
their chanting of nonsense may have induced a certain mental state during
which it would have been quite easy for Pound to slip through the pews
picking the congregation's pockets.

Tim Romano

P.S. I have no idea whether deity is all-compassionate. That would be mere
credo on my part. But I do know that men are likely, when their idea of God
is mercy incarnate,  to prefer mercy over justice. Put this on a
Machievellian axis. Men whose god is a god of mercy are likely to belong to
the class of men who must pray.

P.P.S. Mind you -- I am explicating Pound's thought, not necessarily
offering up my own.