EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 10:09:51 EDT
In a message dated 08/12/2000 1:52:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 Is Burt so indiscriminately leftist that he cannot imagine that there are
 responsible people who, far from being minions or dupes of the
 American Right, see the need to criticize the excesses of the Left
 as well as the Right?  But perhaps Burt can see no wrong in the Left?
<<

& earlier DP said

<<
The bright son of a friend of mine is one of those jailed in
Philly.  I don't know what he personally did, but if he participated
in destroying property or throwing rocks at cops, I would consider
that he deserves his little week in jail.  Republicans have a
right to voice their bullshit just as much as Democrats do.

it would be much more interesting if DP would spell out what he thinks the
excesses of the left (in america, since we're addressing PC) are?
destruction of public property at the Republican Convention?  how about the
destruction of human beings that results from the policies that result from
that convention?  how about the fact that the deal is so rigged, politically,
that normal political protests are, in the face of the billions of dollars
arrayed against them, ineffectual?  one wonders where DP has been all of his
life -- doesn't he remember the *illegal* protests of the 50's & 60's during
the civil rights and the antiwar actions?  then, also, we heard from the
respectable class that *there is never any excuse for breaking the law* in
the same moral tone that DP uses.  well, old DP may think his friend's
*bright son* deserves a week in jail, but I sure as hell don't, just as I
don't think that numerous friends of mine deserved years in prison for
throwing blood on murderers, or scratching nuclear missiles with
screwdrivers, and just as I don't think that the protesters in Philadelphia
deserved to be beaten and sexually molested by the police, or held in jail
under high bonds (as high as a million dollars) after being charged with
felonies for misdemeanor offenses.  come on, DP, give us your list of
*leftist* excesses.

jb...