EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender: Ezra Pound discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Query
From: Jim Strachan <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 21:54:20 -0800
I believe Poussin's painting is called_Les Bergers d'Arcadia_ and the motto
used by Nicolas was Et ego in Arcadia (I, too, have lived in Arcadia).

The motto, however, was first used by Bartholomew Schidoni (1560-1616): I,
too, was born in Arcadia, and was adopted by Goethe for his travels in
Italy in 1816.

Arcadia was idealized by Virgil in his _Ecologues_ and in the pastoral
works of the Renaissance by Sidney's _Arcadia_. And for some reason I keep
thinking it was used in the poetry of Shelley or Keats (?), but I could be
wrong.

cheers,

Jim

At 07:13 PM 99-01-22 -0500, Michael Kicey replied to Bill Freind's lament: