EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tom Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:46:41 +0000
> Jonathan Morse wrote:
> At
> http://ikarus.pclab-phil.uni-kiel.de/daten/anglist/PoetryProject/Pound.htm
> you'll find a student paper about Pound by Birte Dornhecker,
> who says, "In 1922, with characteristic aplomb, Pound announced that the
> 'Christian Era' was over and that the 'Pound Era' had begun." I'm pretty
> sure I've also read that proclamation of Pound's in its primary source.
> But (speaking of embarrassment) where?

In his note to the Little Review Calendar, Pound had announced
that "The Christian era came definitively to an END at
midnight of the 29-30 of October (1921) old style".  Noel
Stock (on p.247 of _The Life of Ezra Pound_) adds that "the
world was now living in the first year of a new pagan age
called the Pound Era". Could that be where "Pound Era"
originated?

Tom Holland