EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:20:26 -0500
I agree with you, Dirk.

My work has me involved very much with the US's elite. The people to whom
I'm referring are among the top 1% of American wealth, and I have gotten to
know a few of them. If I've ever had the opportunity to speak with them
about my interests in poetry, they are usually impressed, but they know
very little. I know what they do read. They read contemporary books that
make them look well-read and contemporary. For instance, I work for a
biomedical university, and the "elites" who fund the joint read Judy
Miller's Germs, Guiliani's Leadership, Jack Welch's farce, Diamond's book
on Guns, Germs,  et al, Richard Preston's The Demon in the Freezer,
Gladwell's Tipping Point etc. I don't recall any books of literature
mentioned. However, once in a while one of their kids has married a writer,
and they know that person's books.  The elites in my experience want to
appear to be contemporary, but they won't pick up Pound. Heck, they'll
think that Pound's too much of a freak even though their own view of the
world is a green-velvet covered neo-feudalism.

--Anastasios