EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Michael Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:43:51 -0500
So should we call morality a dialectic of fiction
and need, storytelling and sorrow? Should we,
now, call it that? An odd habit of evasion
spoken at difficult moments? But I, I, I...

the many I’s, hear the ancient voices, the cries
of the silenced, the distant, dimmed choruses
of the underworld. We hear the beating wings.
And though we despair of reason itself, and faith

has failed all save the eternally faithful, our trip
to the dead ends with the living. We carry
the harvest. We know our own deception.
And here philosophy is reborn. It dares.

Philosophy dares and dares again.
As once there was a compassionate god,
and once the winds of inherent progress,
so we dare again, for we, and our children,

are not unworthy of life, our poverty the proof.