EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Nikki M Pill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 13:31:40 -0600
hi,

>how did everyone become interested in pound?

when in high school, i always spent my lunch hour in the "silent" room of
the library, which was where they kept the poetry. (i was the token
solitary black-clad angst-girl at my hs, she says wryly). when i started
reading sylvia plath, i noticed that there were several books by ezra
pound next to hers. i just picked one up because his name looked
interesting. i started reading it -- it was the collection of his early
works -- and i was fascinated. bought the book and kept going back to
re-read it, especially "francesca" and "praise of ysolt."

a year ago, i started reading a biography... got distracted in the middle
and stopped. ever since then i've been kicking myself -- "blasphemer, how
could you not want to pick up pound again?!" -- until i signed on this
list and saw the reactions to that particular one. (red-faced, i admit)
the tytell one... i shall hasten to the bookstore and buy carpenter's...

finally, i got to spend a whole 4 hours studying pound in my modern
poetry class this past term (with an excellent teacher), and learned
about his far-reaching influence when we studied other poets. i have a
funny feeling i'll be getting lots & lots of books i've heard about on
this list to continue my studies... i'm intimidated by the *cantos,* but
drawn to pound like the proverbial moth to a candle.

incidentally, i love you all for cramming my mailbox full of such
fascinating things. i'm not as learned as all y'all seem to be, but i've
got a voracious appetite for literature and learning.

nikki

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]