EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jack Savage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:41:41 -0800
>From: "R.Gancie/C.Parcelli" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: "self-sufficient work of art"
>Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:23:51 -0500
>
>Tim,
>
>After your lucid comment on dramatic structure in an epic like the Cantos,
>I must
>say you've lost me here. So I'll simply make some random observations.
>
>[Wait let me get more coffee.]
>
>My use of the notion of "arcane" was meant to be in contra-distinction to
>yours.
>The usual meaning especially as regards literature implies a non-utile
>dimension,
>that is that the public for example can ignore the arcana if it chooses
>becuase it
>little impacts on their daily existence.
>
>However, now with the rise of hundreds of scientific and technical
>specialties not
>to mention specialties outside of these two general disciplines we have
>"arcana",
>if you will, which profoundly effect the utility of our everyday lives. In
>large
>part Pound sought, mistakenly, a return to a culture not as reliant on
>'specialties.'
>
>Thus, Pound's arcana are generally speaking comfortably non-utile. Hence,
>he
>clearly has not written the "anthem to Fascism" because any
>political/military
>movement that does not ground itself in modern science and technology will
>be
>ground under as recently witnessed. Pound never included a paean to
>Fascism's
>reliance and development of modern weapons of war such as the V-1, V-2
>rocket.
>
>I, for one, seeing this as a serious epistemological lacuna in the Cantos
>decades
>ago sought to put myself in the center of the concern for the everyday
>arcana that
>is science and technology. Your email seems to suggest that to engage this
>arcana
>in its original forms violates some sort of communication with the poetry
>reader.
>Let's leave aside the obligation of the reader because, generally, this is
>one
>'obligation' the reader has no intention of meeting.
>
>There are all important ontological and epistemological dimensions to
>scientific
>and technological arcana. To simplify, this provides a philosophical and
>"expository" bridge from the dominant epistemologies of the sciences to
>"epic"
>poetry as you've described it. This, for me, is also the field of poetic
>engagement
>because this is the field of dialectic. On one side lies the sciences in
>all of
> [...]

Mr Romano

Your "notes" are on target, and well-taken.

I would only add that the percentage of poets/writers
who "think before they speak" is probably about
the same in the General Population.

So, for every Pound or Joyce, we will inevitably have
99 Frosts or Sandburgs.

And I don't suppose it's ever been much different,
whether in Sumeria or Soho --

the One Percent leap forward, dragging the many minds
kicking and screaming along behind them.

Thanks for the Thoughts