EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stoneking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 07:16:21 -0500
> "But the true test of one's
> understanding, in my opinion, would be to reach the point where one has
> absorbed the work and understood Pound's thinking so thoroughly that one
> can use his innovations as the basis for creating new work.  It seems in
> some respects rather discouraging that the first person to succeed in
> this task has been a filmmaker rather than a writer."

You obviously do not have Stalin's love of movies, but awonderful sense of
hyberbole and the absurb. Mr Soderbergh, the first?  I don't think so...
let us nominate Eisenstein if anyone, though I suspect you pass him by
more from the techincal deficicies of film at that period (compared to now).
But this was a simultaneous evolution. Eisenstein was NOT influenced by
Pound or vice versa.

If you wanna start nominating film directors why overlook Ford (The
Searchers),
or Mr Hitchcock (the "Pound" of suspense), or dare I say it? Ingmar
Bergmann.
And there are more.

Writers?  PiO in Melbourne has developed a rigrous and original poetry of
inner-city Melbourne migrants utilising voice and dialect in a way that
Pound (by comparison) only hinted at, and yet Pi's poetry is very definitely
a major innovation that has its source in Pound's poetry. The list of poets
is in fact endless!

When you speak of "new work", don't forget that the development of concrete
poetry is, in itself, a visual utilisation of Pound's ideas, and this form
was
already established well before Stoderbergh drew breath.

I am sure there are hundreds of other examples, but these few should
suffice to make the point.

with respect
Stoneking