EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 21:40:51 -0500
It's great to hear--and it's quite amazing to me!--
that there are so many young people, not necessarily
in college, who are taking to Pound.  I can't figure
out how that could be happening--simply because of EP's
difficulty; enough of a turn-off even for most college
profs.  But throughout my career it's always amazed
me where Pound aficionados turn up.  When I lived in
Spain there was a Spanish sub-administrator who
worked for the World Bank who was addicted to EP
(in English!)--and then there was my English-
speaking Spanish friend Miguel, who was studying to
be a Merchant Marine officer, who could quote
passages to me from the Pisans.  Anyway, I like
being amazed.

==DP

At 07:44 PM 1/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>i'm a hack poet who's never been to college.
>i don't drink (or use any drugs for that matter).
>i hate the computer, but love to use it for resources like this (which,
>dispite my tone, i am enjoying so far).
>-all- of my friends enjoy pound. we range from philosopher/poet types, to
>painters, to silly punk kids. we read him, talk about him, are influeced, etc.
>few of us are in school.
>all of us read.
>jeff.
>
>>By the way, when I facetiously mention
>>"the twenty-nothing and thirty-
>>nothing generation that has hardly even heard of
>>[EP]," I am certainly not implicating literate
>>grad students like Erin T. but rather the whole
>>[de-]generation of audiophilic, bibliophobic
>>digerati who are more likely to learn via the
>>Net--which is our current substitute for
>>Authority and even God--than from old-fart, my-
>>generational media like paper.
>>
>>Dan P
>>

>>>Dan Pearlman thought out loud:

>>>in hypertext format on the 'Net (infinite Borgesian
>>>links, etc.) we would see a tremendous upsurge in
>>>interest in EP among the twenty-nothing and thirty-
>>>nothing generation that has hardly even heard of
>>>him.  ND might be smart to offer, let's say, the
>>>first 30 Cantos in this format on the Net for
>>>free and hope to rope in buyers of a CD-hypertext
>>>version of the whole work.  Maybe even the book
>>>itself.<<
>>>
>>>Perfect. I hope they start tomorrow. I reckon we got the 20th century
>>>wrong. We might as well line up again at the starting gate.
>>>
>>>regards,
>>>
>>>Harold Rhenisch
>>>
>>Dan Pearlman
>>Department of English
>>University of Rhode Island
>>Kingston, RI 02881
>>
>>[Latest book: novel, BLACK FLAMES, White Pine Press, 1997]
>>
>>Tel.: (home) 401 453-3027
>>      (office) 401 874-4659
>>Fax:  401 874-2580
>>Internet: [log in to unmask]

>        There are no hierarchies, no infinite, no such many as mass,
>        there are only
>        eyes in all heads
>        to be looked out of
>
>                             -charles olson, from "letter 6" (of the
maximus                                    poems)