EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:00:42 EDT
Wei,

I have just been sitting on the sidelines, happily (for the most part)
following the wide-ranging discussions that have followed your arrival on the
list.   Your contributions are often invigorating, and sometimes frustrating.
 For me, the frustrations arise from what appears to me to be your lack of
passion for the astonishing beauty of the language.  You acknowlege in the
most matter-of-fact tone that EP wrote beautifully, but you don't in any way
seem moved by this beauty...
for example, you wrote

<< of course he used language to produce admirable aesthetic
effects. >>

This is damning him with the very faintest praise.
I believe you when you say you want to discuss the WHOLE
epistemological-religious-political-aesthetic world of EP...and I submit to
you that that whole world includes, not just the sheer breathtaking beauty,
but also the EFFECT that beauty has on (some) readers...start there, not with
some flat, almost condescending description of what sounds like a hack
academic poet who knows a few tricks.  Recognize the power of his gift, enjoy
the music, just enjoy the music for a bit, really and truly hear it and take
YOUR EXPERIENCE OF THE MUSIC as the starting point for your further thoughts.
Best wishes,
Jay Anania