EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Robert E. Kibler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E Kibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 19:56:45 -0500
On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 19:44:31 -0500 wrote...

And yet to be fair, mention Pound in a freshman survery course, and almost no
one has heard of him. Is it really likely that those outside of the university
or institution of higher ed are like you, or even as involved in the study and
discussion of poets and poetry as is a bunch of freshman in a literary survey
class?  In my wildest dreams, your kind would be common.  In Pound's wildest
dreams--in Jeffersons dreams--the idea of the educated farmer--but the chief
complaint about American and 20th century culture generally might be that the
only place one can get exposure to thought, discussion, and a sense of who is
who and what's what, is the university. The control that institution has on
what is acceptable literary expression is appalling, but the greater problem is
that it is just about the only game in town, barring a few collections of card
playing, house painting poets here and there.  Admit it--you are a rare bunch.

i'm a hack poet who's never been to college.
>i don't drink (or use any drugs for that matter).
>i hate the computer, but love to use it for resources like this (which,
>dispite my tone, i am enjoying so far).
>-all- of my friends enjoy pound. we range from philosopher/poet types, to
>painters, to silly punk kids. we read him, talk about him, are influeced, etc.
>few of us are in school.
>all of us read.
>jeff.
>
>>By the way, when I facetiously mention
>>"the twenty-nothing and thirty-
>>nothing generation that has hardly even heard of
>>[EP]," I am certainly not implicating literate
>>grad students like Erin T. but rather the whole
>>[de-]generation of audiophilic, bibliophobic
>>digerati who are more likely to learn via the
>>Net--which is our current substitute for
>>Authority and even God--than from old-fart, my-
>>generational media like paper.
>>
>>Dan P
>>

>>>Dan Pearlman thought out loud:

>>>in hypertext format on the 'Net (infinite Borgesian
>>>links, etc.) we would see a tremendous upsurge in
>>>interest in EP among the twenty-nothing and thirty-
>>>nothing generation that has hardly even heard of
>>>him.  ND might be smart to offer, let's say, the
>>>first 30 Cantos in this format on the Net for
>>>free and hope to rope in buyers of a CD-hypertext
>>>version of the whole work.  Maybe even the book
>>>itself.<<
>>>
>>>Perfect. I hope they start tomorrow. I reckon we got the 20th century
>>>wrong. We might as well line up again at the starting gate.
>>>
>>>regards,
>>>
>>>Harold Rhenisch
>>>
>>Dan Pearlman
>>Department of English
>>University of Rhode Island
>>Kingston, RI 02881
>>
>>[Latest book: novel, BLACK FLAMES, White Pine Press, 1997]
>>
>>Tel.: (home) 401 453-3027
>>      (office) 401 874-4659
>>Fax:  401 874-2580
>>Internet: [log in to unmask]

-

>        There are no hierarchies, no infinite, no such many as mass,
>        there are only
>        eyes in all heads
>        to be looked out of
>
>                             -charles olson, from "letter 6" (of the maximus

>                                 poems)

Robert E. Kibler
Department of English
University of Minnesota

                fortunatus et ille, deos qui novit agrestis,
                Panaque Silvanumque senem Nymphasque sorores.