EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"J. Mark Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:15:31 -0500
  here's an interesting comment on that same word 'qing':

"In what in English we still call Mandarin, but which since 1949, in China,
has been called 'putonghua' ('the common language,' though in fact it is a
dialect of the north), the color turquoise is known as qing lu, or 'natural-
color green," qing meaning 'natural (color)'; lu, green. Qing hai: the blue
sea; qing shan: the green mountains; qing ye: the black night. It is as if all
things have their own 'natural' color: the green of the mountains (that might,
to us, be grey, or blue), the blue of the sea (that might, also, be green),
the gloom of a car accident that is black (but might instead be that deep
almost sweet blue of certain paintings) when one is lying in the hospital,
having just come close to death. So natural green would be as good a color as
any to describe those poems [of the Tang Dynasty], most them now more than
1200 years old, but still strangely fresh, as if waiting for us to come upon
them again."

(from <Introduction to the Introduction to Wang Wei>, a book of verse homages
and imitations by Canadian poets Roo Borson, Kim Maltman, Andy Patton (Pain
Not Bread), 2000.)

  But is the word 'qing' in the original Li Po poem?

  J. Mark Smith