EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:49:08 +0900
7bit
From:
Wayne Pounds <[log in to unmask]>
A second note from Massimo Bacigalupo, this one more detailed than the first
and specifically intended for posting to the EP List. wp

On CasaPound and Mary dR

On April 1st, 2010, Corriere della Sera published an interview ("Gi. le mani da
mio padre Ezra Pound") in which Mary de Rachewiltz denounced the use of EP's
name by CasaPound, a prominent neo-fascist group based in Rome and
elsewhere, infamous for beating up student protesters and disrupting tv talk-
shows. She said that using Pound in this way was "worse than putting him in the
Pisa cage".

Predicatably, the CasPound people responded claiming to be true interpreters of
Pound's thought, and inviting Mary to come and visit their establishment and
see for herself. Corriere della Sera published this response in the form of an
article on April 14 ("Fascista o ingenuo, il rebus Pound"), disingenously
pretending to be impartial.

It is very courageous of Mary to speak up about the misappropriation of EP's
name by neo-fascist thugs, and she rightly pointed out that this job should be
undertaken by scholars.

Massimo Bacigalupo
DISCLIC - Universita' di Genova
Piazza S. Sabina 2, 16124 Genova, Italia