EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Will Richmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:57:54 +0100
Dear scholars,

I wonder if anyone can help me identify some people.
They are no doubt terribly obvious, but I'd like a more authoritative opinion than my uneducated guess-work.

They are the names Pound joked about as the subject of the "last epic" before the literary Dark Age, in a letter to his mother of 1910.
(referred to in Stock, p.80)

"a rhetorical epic" through which "would move Marconi, Pierpoint Morgan, Bleriot, Levavasour, Lathan, Peary, Dr Cook, etc."

The first three are, of course, quite clear,.  I would, however, like some help confirming the rest.
I can only assume that Dr Cook and Peary are the explorer (who returned from the Arctic in 1909) and admiral involved in the McKinley Hoax, but I'm ashamed to admit that I don't understand why Pound would suggest this pair even in jest.

As for Levavasour and Lathan, I'm somewhat in the dark.

Also, for interest's sake, would anyone speculate (from the vantage point of a more comprehensive study of Pound) who some of the "etc." might be.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Will Richmond