EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 18:08:03 -0500
Or Rimbaud's systematic derangement, willfully painful and meant to distance him from false beauty, at least from bourgeois prettiness ( I see that differs from Pound's light of paradise).  On the other hand, he and Verlaine promised each other they would one day be "Sons of the Sun".
I wonder what EP thought of Rimbaud's biography...his translations (Au Cabaret Vert) seem to treat  Rimbaud as a sort of jaunty rebel, more Villon than Mallarme.  Anybody know?

Jay

Tim Romano wrote:

> The monster Grendel suffers when he hears the clear song of the scop and
> music of the harp.

That seems to be the same image cluster or theme as the 'allergy' to
sunlight of vampires. And pound has the light of paradise blinding the
viewer. I don't remember which Canto. Also Lear's wheel of fire. Plato's
cave dwellers when they come out into the sunlight. I'm sure there are
many other examples.

Carrol