EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender: - Ezra Pound discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:21:50 -0400
Dear Burt,
Please find pasted below a first attempt at coming up with a
summary of a paper proposal for an MSA6 panel. Let me know
what you think, and we can perhaps put something together in time
for the deadline. Of course, you would be writing on Blaser. Who
else were you thinking of inviting? If you do not have anyone in
mind, I may be able to come up with a name or two. Someone like
Miranda Hickman (she teaches at McGill these days) might be a
possibility. In any case, let me know what you think.
Best to you and Virginia,
Demetres

Already in the early 1980s Frank Davey recognized the importance of
Louis Dudek as a poet whose stature is equal to those of Bunting, Olson,
and Spicer and whose major long modernist poems “open up formal
possibilities which are later to dominate important work by Marlatt,
Bowering, Nichol, Lee and Kroetsch” (Louis Dudek: Text 7), Dudek’s
relationship with Ezra Pound and the importance of that relationship in
the genesis of a distinctively Canadian, second-generation literary
modernism has not received much scholarly attention. On the other
hand, Pound’s poetry and criticism and this work’s radical ideological
openness have been viewed by American critics (including Canadian-
born literary modernist critic Hugh Kenner) as most responsible for the
unprecedented blossoming in American literature of formally innovative,
open, and open-ended poetry. This is a poetry that questions received
notions of poetic form through its radically modernist, abrupt, paratactic
techniques of disconnectedness and discontinuity, visual
experimentation, textual heterogeneity, and undigested quality. Pound is
largely responsible for making possible the innovations of successive
generations of American poets, from the Projectivist group, to the
Objectivists, to the language poetry of Charles Bernstein and so on. A
similar argument may be possible for the importance of Pound’s poetry--
as mediated by Dudek–in the development of a Canadian, second-
generation, modernist poetry. This seminar invites papers dealing with
American modernism’s influence on Canadian, second-generation
modernist poetry.
Demetres P. Tryphonopoulos
Professor, Dept. of English
Assistant Dean, School of Graduate Studies
University of New Brunswick
School of Graduate Studies
P.O. Box 4400
Fredericton, NB