EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:50:44 +0000
From:
Michael Edmunds <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
McLuhan wrote a short review of Litz' The Art of James Joyce. (McLuhan, H. M. (1962). The art of james joyce (book review). Renascence, 14(3), 166.)
1962 being the year The Gutenberg Galaxy: The Making of Typographic Man arrived. McLuhan's first salvo is to say  of Litz (as of Ellman and others as  having a 19th century outlook but fashionably taking over the moderns. Litz not only dislikes Joyce, says McLuhan, but as well he doesn't get Joyce's art. McLuhan's playfulness exudes as when Litz complains that  Joyce's "incessant revisions" might give understanding of his artistic aims or clues to his meanings,but that they do not. McLuhan is quick to note that Litz was looking for Joyce's point of view (POV being italicized signifying McLuhanisme at its best) and rounds off the issue by turning it back that Joyce was indeed after RE-VISIONS.  The review concludes that Mr. Litz followed a fixed point of view which can have no relevance in a simultaneous electronic world.

Interestingly the Ottawa McLuhan Archive says that there are three items of correspondence in 1978 between the two. They're in my bucket list to get.
me