EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 20:13:55 -0400
Tina,
He compares her effect upon him to "a new lightness", "sweet leaves", and
"subtle clearness".  How is this a denial of her goodness? How does it amount
to a suffocation? You may be picking up on the hints of illness in  "gauze"
and "aether" and "straitly", hints which are borne out by the explicit
reference later on to "winter's wound" -- but from the get-go she is depicted
as the rejuvenating cure of his malady, not as its cause... unless I'm not
picking up on something.  Line 8 is still a bit of a mystery to me...not sure
I get the "half in half" stuff. Plato?
Tim