EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:11:10 -0800
from "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase & Fable" -
    "TO KICK AGAINST THE PRICKS" -To strive against odds, especially against
authority. 'Prick' here is an ox-goad, and the allusion is to Acts ix, 5 -
'It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.'" " Honor pricks me on."
Guess from whence that cometh, not certainly from sitting on a nettle.

CDM