EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:35:30 -0400
But that's by blood. Not by culture. I would not, by any means, call Lewis
an American writer. Lewis is certainly much less "American" even than T.S.
Eliot, and writes as a Brit, often speaking of Americans, even when
tongue-in-cheek, as very much "other", not like "us". For example:

"Great Britain is certainly suspect to Americans. They
cannot make head or tail of her. She is a stuck-up old girl
who owes a lot of money--and odd thing for such a highly
respectable old lady to do.  She is rather flighty, which is
alarming in one so old--she never seems quite _serious_, that
is--goes into giggles all of a sudden, or smiles enigmatically,
if politely. She seems to the average American slightly
phoney. Let us face up to that. She has many habits
which baffle and put one on one's guard--the curious way
she has of speaking English with a foreign accent, for
instance. Then she must be the most quarrelsome old dame
who ever stepped: always--umbrella in hand--getting into
scraps with her neighbours, and spitting at them over the
garden wall. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for Hitler it is
doubtful if any American would have anything more to do
with her. But Hitler has turned the scales. She's right
about Hitler anyhow, who is even crazier than she is.
She seems quite normal in comparison. Hitler is one up
to her."

-- from his book THE HITLER CULT.

Tim Romano