EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Pounds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:23:41 +0900
I have been passed some questions from Ian (no last name), a
Russian-American poet translating EP. Perhaps some of you have answers
to the questions below?

The answer to the "Whiteside" question is given by ep in notes at the
back of the CEP, at least in my edition. The laughter at "Nascitur Ordo"
I think I understand but I would need to see an American dollar to be
exact, and I don't have one. The other questions I cannot anwer.

If someone has the kindness to reply, I will forward the answer to Ian.

Wayne Pounds
Tokyo

-----------------
I have a couple of questions concerning Personalia in Pound's Poems from
the
"Collected Early Poems," edited by Michael John King (Introd. by Loius
Martz). New Directions, 1976, 1982.
1. First, in Redonillas or Something of that sort), who may be Whiteside
in the
context:
I praise God for a few royal fellows
            like Plarr and Fred Vance and Whiteside...

2. Also how can you interpret "Nascitur Ordo" in the context:
Why should I cough my head off
            with that old gag of "Nascitur Ordo" A Birth of New Order?

3. in the IV Sonnet from Leviora -  Latin: dericus & ingides
And the Dedication: To My dear Friend - Remonstrating
        For His Essay upon "Mighty Mouths" I wonder who the hell it may
be
and what was the essay about?
4. In the Sonnet L'Art from Canzoni -personalia - Great Scott (Walter
Scott?)
and the Murex?
Thanks in advance. I've just finished translating The Seafarer.
My very best,
Ian