EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jack Savage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:07:36 -0800
>From: Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: "self-sufficient work of art"
>Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:35:19 -0800
>
>Your point is well-taken, but why use a term like "self-sufficient", which
>implies so much more?  The terminology itself seems to have been invented
>in
>order to raise a certain type of work above others by imbuing these works
>with an ontological superiority. Why not just call them "straight-forward"
>or "accessible" or something like that?  Could it be that, though
>accessibility is their touchstone, critics of this ilk wish to retain the
>mystery of the mantle of scholarship and to create an elitism of the
>anti-intellectual?

Yes. And let's consider the source of that distinctively
American attitude:  --  fundamentalist Xtianity.

The Puritan invaders, ironically imitating Mother Church (R.C.),
long ago established a deep-seated suspicion -- if not ouright
fear -- of knowledge.

"Science is the criticism of Myth."  .... Yeats

Knowledge leads to Questions; questioning to Doubt ...
and there are still those among our fellow citizens (U.S.)
who maintain that the only Book one needs to read is
Ta Biblia.

(Mr Pound "knew his Bible".)

At any rate, if what we want in Art is that which will express
"emotion" to the greatest number in the simplest fashion,
we don't need to exert ourselves beyond the verse
of a Hallmark card.

"It ain't just to walk around and sing --
you gotta step out a little -- right?"

Robert Alan Zimmerman said that

Have a very merry winter solstice

(I said that)