EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:12:02 EDT
In a message dated 06/14/2000 2:45:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 We could also choose to emphasize the Fascist, anti-semitic, hierarchical,
 anti-democratic, anti-worker Pound OF THE CANTOS.  Or we could choose (as
 you perhaps have done--- correct me if this is a mischaracterization)  . .
 .we could choose to DE-emphasize the Fascist, anti-semitic, hierarchical,
 anti-democratic, anti-worker Pound OF THE CANTOS.  It is a valid choice, if
 you wish to make it.  But all that trash is in the Cantos.  The prose essays
 and radio Rome Broadcasts and political statements simply make it easier to
 understand.

it's a question of where one wants to put the emphasis, as I stated earlier.
for example, the Pisan Cantos, which I think were the work that most
influenced Pound's winning of the Bollingen Prize, are dedicated to
Mussolini; this fact does not enhance them to me, to the contrary it
embarrasses me, just as all of Pound's anti-Semitic ranting and support of
fascism embarrasses me.  but these are not the qualities that makes Pound a
great poet, and that's what interests me.  you have come very close to
insinuating that those of us who're no longer interested in demonstrating yet
again that Pound was, as you constantly repeat, "Fascist, anti-semitic,
hierarchical, anti-democratic", are somehow engaged in a cover-up, as if this
aspect of Pound has not been covered, ad nauseam, over and over. personally I
don't know why certain Pound critics bother with Pound at all -- except that
in the study of 20th century poetry to ignore him leaves a rather huge hole
in one's resume.
I also object to the absolutist tendency of your criticism.  and while the
broadcasts, etc., make it easier to understand the "Fascist, anti-semitic,
hierarchical [and] anti-democratic" aspects of Pound, they do nothing to help
us to understand Pound the poet.  honestly, it's a drag when one reduces
everything about Pound to conform to the political picture one has drawn of
him, and allows him to be nothing but "Fascist, anti-semitic, hierarchical
[and] anti-democratic".  so even though I'm repeating myself, once again I
remind you that these qualities have not gone unnoticed by the critical
community at large, nor have they been ignored, the world is not endangered
by Pound, the right-wing is not using his work as a source of inspiration and
small children are not being force-fed a steady diet of Poundian garbage.  if
you want to think of Pound as sitting in his corner at St. Elizabeth's fuming
at the jews and American democracy with spittle running down his chin, you're
of course free to do so -- but don't expect any sympathy from those of us who
want to take the best of Pound's innovations and get on with it.

joe...