EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:18:11 -0400
Carroll,
My original point was that I would prefer elitism to a leveling revolution
where the intelligentsia are killed off.  I did not say that all
revolutionary regimes do this, though I should have written "revolutions
that..." instead of "revolutions which..."

But I will take you up on your point about the relationship of revolutionary
regimes and high literacy rates. Do you regard a literacy campaign as
"successful" in countries where there is no free press?  Please list for me
the revolutionary regimes of the 20th c. where both a high degree of
literacy AND a free press have obtained.

Tim