EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bill Freind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 07:54:09 -0500
> Bill,
> Not to disagree with you -- but could you refer us to some evidence for the following judgment:
>
> > Pound is pretty ambivalent about
> > nationalism ...

Yeah, I rushed through that claim without much support. What I meant is that Pound always
identified as an American, and even as an Western American, going so far as to adopt the Uncle Ez
dialect (which apparently arose from an infancy in Hailey). On the other hand, Pound complained
long and hard against passports and anything that blocked the circulation of people and ideas, or
at least the people and ideas that he supported. His metaphors for passports often echo his
metaphors for money: if either is "obstructed," war results.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I think it's interesting that Pound rigorously ignores the
hypernational qualities of Italian fascism; that indicates that one of the big selling points for
the Duce didn't reach Pound, and also suggests how fundamentally EP misunderstood Mussolini.

Bill Freind