EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Martin Knepper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:55:14 +0200
Another outing, this time from a 34 yr old semistudied german, who has
just some days ago joined this utmost interesting list:

Primarly Pound is a sensual author katexochen to me, the most sensual
one I have ever experienced.
A short reminiscing: 15 years ago I had my first contact with the
cantos on a journey through Sicily. For keeping my luggage light I had
no dictionary or any other 'guide' with me, and after having gone lost
in the first 10 cantos or so I gave up this first attempt of a
continuous reading and slipped through the pages.
And two things stroke me: the similarity of the surrounding landscape
in the flirring heat, while reading the description of Circe's Island,
shaded by olive trees 'with the clicking of leaves first green then
not green' and among many other quotable passages from the Pisan
cantos: 'First came the seen and thus the palpable/Elysium, though it
were under the gates of hell'. Having nothing heard about the
neoplatonians he owned this insight to, those were the first lines
that appealed so directly to me, combining the immediate physical
experience with the 'transcending' intellectual desire that I
immediately stopped shaving. Well, I was 19 there... Until now my
beard has not grown too much at all, but despite of his own personal
failings Pounds work and many aspects of his personal life have my
deepest respects regarding their moral force.

Martin Knepper, Duesseldorf

--
'Concern must be for the whole where each item is member of'
        Plotin