EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bill Freind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 07:32:36 -0500
The Carta del Carnaro, the constitution for the Republic of Fiume was described
by one historian as “a kind of Napoleonic Code rewritten by Ezra Pound.” Also,
Paolo Valesio suggests that the Cantos are "unthinkable without the Laudi,"
D'Annunzio's "poem of total life." I don't know of any references Pound makes to
the Laudi, although that silence doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I've always suspected that D'Annunzio provided a type of model for Pound: the
socially engaged poet who actually leaves his mark on the political realm,
although EP probably would have preferred being an advisor.

In regard to Hideo Nogami's request for biographies:

D'Annunzio and the Great War / Alfredo Bonadeo; Madison [N.J.] : Fairleigh
Dickinson University Press ; London, England : Associated University Presses,
1995

Jullian, Philippe   D'Annunzio; [translated from the French by Stephen Hardman];
London, Pall Mall Press, 1972

Gabriele D'Annunzio : defiant archangel / John Woodhouse; Oxford : Clarendon
Press ; New York : Oxford University Press,1998.

 The first duce : D'Annunzio at Fiume / Michael A. Ledeen; Baltimore : Johns
Hopkins University Press, c1977

The Jullian is a general biography, while the Ledeen concentrates on
D'Annunzio's adventures in WWI and Fiume. I haven't read the other two.

Bill Freind