EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cindy Jepsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 19:24:27 -0800
To Anyone with the answers:
I need to write a 500 word essay on the reason why Pound wrote "A Pact" to
Whitman. I need to know what kind of poet Whitman was, and what he thought
poetry should and can do.  I need to know what a modern poet is.  I need to
answer what modern poets value, and what they think poetry should and can
do.  What is the pact between Pound and Whitman as Pound sees it?  Why does
Pound say he once detested Whitman?  Why has this gone on long enough?
What is the thing about "a grown child"?  Who is the pig headed father?
What does "old enough to make new friends" mean in regards to what age has
to do with friendship?  What is "new wood"?  What is "carving" a metaphor
for?  How are the poets connected  in "one root"?  A sample thesis is
"Pound wrote this poem to Whitman because he......"  ??

If you can point me in the direction of information that will help me
answer these questions and complete my essay, please reply.  The library in
my town (and surrounding areas) is useless.  The community college in my
town has one book of Pound's Cantos, nothing on "A Pact", and no biography.
I've spent 2 hours sorting through the information on Pound on the web and
still don't have what I need.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated :)