ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 12:24:54 -0500
Maine salvaged a tie with Northeastern last night 2-2 at Alfond Arena.

I was quite disappointed for the most part in the play of the home town
team, but they should not hang their heads because even though they did not
have their best game, they did not lose.  That's a sign of a good team.

I thought Matt Yeats played outstanding in goal for the Black Bears.  The
first goal was not his fault, as he stopped several shots right from a
flurry in front and the Maine D could not clear out the Huskey players and
one eventually lifted the puck over the fallen netminder.  The second goal
was probably a result of Yeats taking the wrong angle as the NU player
streaked down the ice to Yeats left and beat him from the circle (if memory
serves me right).

But he also made some great saves, and had some help with some great plays
by his defense, which I also thought played pretty well.

Northeastern, as you'd expect from a Bruce Crowder coached team, worked
their tails off and earned a point.  Maine dominated the first period, but
instead of putting their tails between their leg and running back to
Hunnington Ave., Northeastern came out and dominated play themselves in the
second period.  To me, that was the key period.  Despite the fact Maine was
fortunate to be up 2-1 after the second, it was clear that Northeastern had
the puck luck for them.

I think Maine is still looking for its on-ice leader.  Late in the game
there wasn't that "personality" like Steve Kariya or David Cullen.  I won't
feel that way in March, but the team is still "developing".  Barrett
Heisten may be that person.  I think Barrett is immense.  He isn't putting
up "Jeff Farkas" type numbers, but every time the puck is on Barrett's
stick he seems to do something creative with it.  He is a hard-worker and I
thought he played well last night.

Some people I heard from really were upset with the officiating (one Maine
goal was disallowed early in the game, likely setting the tone for the
night for the Maine people).  Those of you who have been on this list for a
few years know that I don't use officiating as an excuse, but I will say
that the game the officials called did help Northeastern because there
wasn't much flow until late in the game -- and Maine played better during
that stretch.

Maine plays Providence on Sunday afternoon, a potentially more dangerous
team.  Providence was one of the higher scoring teams in the league last
year, but is known for it's good defense.  So, it will be a good game.

But often ALL Hockey East games are good.  Maine can play better and with
more fire than they did on Friday.  Yes, we are the defending champions and
the #1 ranked team in the nation (for another 3 days anyway!), but everyone
will bring their A-game when they play because of the new trophy we own..
Maine can take no team for granted and must come to play every night.

I suspect Maine will be very ready to play Providence on Sunday.

Have a good weekend everyone!

-Deron