ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 16:48:23 -0400
 From today's BDN.. http://www.bangornews.com

Healthy Larose seeks improvement

Cory Larose quietly put together a 52-point season a year ago. It was his 52nd
point, coming on a cross-ice pass to Marcus Gustafsson, that was the most
significant one of his hockey career.
Gustafsson turned that pass into the overtime game-winner off his own rebound
in the 3-2 win over New Hampshire in the NCAA championship game.
Larose hopes to create more memorable moments this season, now that the Black
Bears are on the ice preparing for their Oct. 16 opener against Minnesota.
Larose admitted he still thinks about that magical moment once in a while but
he doesn't dwell on it.
"It was a very exciting time. Once in a while, I get a little bit nostalgic,"
said Larose.
"But you're only as good as your last game. We're starting anew this year,"
said Larose.
He is excited about the season and has high hopes for the team as it tries to
defend its national title.
The Bear co-captain also expects to have a productive year.
"My goal has been to get better every year and I'm hoping to be better this
year," said Larose, who boasts 129 career
points, including 46 goals, in 107 games.
"I had surgery on both elbows in the offseason and I'm healthy as I've ever
been," said Larose, who had a problem with a bursa sac in one and bone spurs in
the other. "I used to get elbow infections when I was younger because I didn't
wear the proper equipment and it has come back to haunt me."
Larose's career has been dotted with injuries including a separated shoulder
and a badly sprained ankle in addition to his elbow infections.
"A big part of the game is staying healthy and, hopefully, I can do that this
year," said Larose, who was converted from a wing to center last season.
He is concentrating on the "little things" that mean so much to a center like
faceoffs and defensive zone coverages.
"I did a lot of strength work this summer and that will translate into [better]
defense more than offense," said Larose.

Balance, depth show in Blue-White

Maine hockey coach Shawn Walsh has begun putting some lines together and
working on special teams. He was encouraged by last Friday night's Blue-White
exhibition game and subsequent scrimmages last weekend.
"I like our balance and our depth," said Walsh, who has decided to keep
brothers Chris and Barrett Heisten together on a line after their three goals
and one assist in the Blue-White game.
Walsh said sophomore Mike Morrison and redshirt freshman Matt Yeats are
establishing themselves as the top two goalies. Yeats stopped 21 of 23 shots in
the Blue-White exhibition.
"I wanted to make an improvement over last year's Blue-White game. I think I
let in five last year," Yeats said. "I was looking to concentrate and do well
because this is the year that counts and this is the time to start playing
well."