EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
R I Caddel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:12:42 +0000
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Booth, Christopher wrote:

> *Must* we have antithetical duets?

- no: I'm guilty of the crime of e-irony. Guilty, yrhonour. Away to the
virtual cells with me...

> But, some of the most stupid things I've ever heard said about poetry in
> general--and also specifically about EP--came from the Lang-Po' people.

- well, there are so many lists which talk of nowt but langpo in some
guise or other that I don't propose to go far down this road - beyond
pointing out that the term has been stretched so much these days as to
include practically everything, exciting to terminally dull - and that
langpo certainly doesn't have any monopoly on daft comments on Pound or
poetry!

Seriously though, were my informants correct in suggesting that Schools of
Creative Writing in the US give no attention to training in reading poetry
aloud? Has anyone pointed out the pedagogical weaknesses of this to them?
And what about the Schools of Literachure? In the UK I suspect there's a
tendency to accumulate tapes of poets in academic libraries for the hell
of it, and view them as side dishes to the main text-based feast. This
strikes me as detrimental to the study of the work as a whole.

RC