EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:21:51 -0400
Jonathan,

Did Pound ever study of the secondary and tertiary exegetical literature of
Hebrew scripture to get a more complete view of the subtleties of the Jewish
religion(s)? Judging from the way Pound's mind usually works, I think he
would have reached his understanding of Jewish monotheism via the "Old
Testament."  Or am I wrong about this? The pervasive attitude towards human
sexuality in the Old Testament is quite different from the attitude towards
the same which pervades the literature and art of polytheistic Greece, and
no doubt quite different also from that of most "observant" Jews today. I am
not saying that there is no such thing as good wholesome sex among
contemporary observant Jews! What I am saying is that the pervasive attitude
in the Old Testament towards any kind of sexual abandon or sexual departure
(fornication, adultery, onanism, homosexuality, whatever else) is that it
was illicit big time (shameful behavior) and ought to be punished severely,
and Pound did not like that at all. He associated Judaism with the early
patristic and then later with the medieval Christian tradition (with the
exception of Eriugena, and separated in his mind from Provence) in which
human sexuality was linked to shame, generation with corruption.

Tim Romano

P.S. I'm not sure I know what you meant by "retroactive influence."  Are you
suggesting that one must be careful not to view the Old Testament through an
early patristic Christian filter?