EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Joe Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:56:27 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/99 5:09:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< As to your point, that Pound's enthusiastic support of Fascism is a
 significant reason behind Pasolini's inclusion of the canto reading doesn't
 that assume that the film is about or concerned with fascism. >>

as I've said, I don't see how to draw any other conclusion -- for me the film
demonstrates the absolute evil of imposing social mores on a society that do
not arise heuristically over time.  but I think it's a mistake to suppose
that pasolini was not using pound's reading from the cantos precisely because
of the disparity between the exalted language of the poetry and the virulence
of pound's fascist views as a way to condemn pound out of his own mouth.  but
again I urge those who haven't seen Salo to do so, and to draw their own
conclusions.

joe....