From:
Mark Toussaint <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Toussaint <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 07:06:05 -0400
I don't speak for USCHO, but it could be a couple of things:

1). A web server can only support so many simultaneous connections.
2). Community message boards can gobble lots of CPU resources. CPU resources
can be limited by the capabilities of your server, or the policies of your
virtual hosting provider (most sites are hosted virtually -- their domain
points to a computer that hosts several other sites), or both.

It seems to only be a problem on weekend nights. A site that's seeing spikes
on one or two days has to decide whether it's worth it to jump from a
high-end virtual hosting package to a low-end dedicated host (or if they're
already on a dedicated server, spring for an upgrade). This can be a very
significant cost increase, and you have to decide if accommodating the
Friday/Saturday traffic is worth paying for the upgrade every other day of
the week.

Hope this helps,

-Mark