From:
Michael Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:49:30 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "T. N. Long" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 4:29 PM
Subject: Re: 2003 Tournament Selection

> For those who are developing ranking systems that did not rank Niagara in
> the top eight prior to the tournament, note that you now have empirical
> data that indicates that your system still needs adjustment

By your logic, Michigan is obviously one of the top eight teams in the
country.  Michigan State obviously is not.  So what do we do with
Nebraska-Omaha?  They beat Michigan in the CCHA playoffs (and, given your
earlier statement about how upsets are usually close, it should be pointed
out the UNO throttled the Wolverines), making them better than one of the
top eight teams in the country, but they lost to Michigan State the next
night, which makes them worse than a team that isn't in the top eight.
Which is it?

I also want to know why it is that you think aimus against Niagara motivates
our concerns, since half of us have stated that we thought including Niagara
was the right call.  I find myself felling very conflicted about my
motivation here, since my statements are contradicted by attitudes that I
apparently have.

J. Michael Neal