From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 10:24:57 EDT
[log in to unmask] wrote:
<snip>

<I think most of us are. But when a discussion starts about the <debate
between half-shields and full-shields and then you back up your claim by
saying that Washington lost a certain amount of man-games which is this much
more than last year, it drowns out your desired effect. You were using facts
about general injuries to try to support a relatively limited discussion.
Even if that wasn't your intended effect, it was certainly implied.

Ben, you must have missed some of my posts. There aren't that many
substantive studies in regard to the full or half face mask.   Some of those
other injury references were in response to someone who claimed injuries are
not on the upswing. They are according to the Hockey news, online team
reports and various articles I've read. The study that Meeuwisse did on the
half versus the full is the only one out there that I know about. He is the
Calgary Flames team doctor. Certainly, I can give anyone information
regarding articles. I obtained them through my local library data base. Ask
me what you are interested in and I'll give you some titles, authors, etc.

<And yes, you are a parent of players, but who's more qualified to <tell what
<they want, the parent or the player?

I don't disagree entirely with that. I posted that players, and I'm talking
from REAL personal experience here (my minor leaguer) want it off. My son
won't even entertain the idea of a half. When the Libby incident happened
this season (my son was Libby's defensive line-mate Libby's last season at
Maine) he agreed with  other players, it was a freak accident. Interestingly,
another Islander player years ago had a similar eye injury and was lucky
enough to return to play with a half shield replacing no shield.

<Isn't it kind of ridiculous that almost
<without exception the players and coaches, those actually involved in the
game, want half-shields allowed, yet it will never happen because of NCCA
red-tape? I can see why full shields should be forced on kids, but these are
adults of legal age(18) we're talking about here. Can't they make their own
helmet choice?

Yes, you're right. If they are of legal age they should be able to choose and
sign a waiver.

>Since I've never played the game outside of some pick-up street >games, I
>can't tell you first hand observations of which is better. I'm curious, have
you ever played, Vicki, or are you just being a protective parent in this
case?

I couldn't skate if my life depended on it. I've got a spectator's wooden
bench slouch and a hard ass to go with it. This goes beyond protective
parenting. Besides, my son has always been HIS OWN CHOICE type of guy.

When I watched the NCAA semi final games at the Pond, I knew I was watching
these guys play at their ultimate best. And to a large extent, though not
entirely, play beside from stick work was devoid of real unacceptable brutal
behavior. I don't like to see that type of behavior in any sport. And
contrary to Neal's claims that sport is not more violent today-- across the
board, it is. "Basebrawls", Soccer mayhem resulting in deaths, Basketball's
bad boy antics, Boxing's ear chewings, officials being attacked at sporting
events, new norms of behavior are replacing the ethical standards sports once
had.

< And I haven't seen anything that really
makes me want to jump on the full-shield bandwagon over the half-shield one.

I haven't either. I'm sure we agree that youth players need to wear a full.
There just isn't enough information out there to KNOW for sure which is
better. If stick infractions, hitting from behind, etc. were eliminated,
these injuries would decrease. Very frankly, if I were a player I wouldn't
want to wear a full either. It's a liability thing now more than ever. That
in itself has changed the sport forever, beside from the other variables:
increased speed, weight and height of players, etc. makes it a more risky
game. I'm on the bandwagon against unnecessary brutal intent to injure
behavior-- a kind of ROAD RAGE on ice behavior.

There is no American study on the full versus the half that I'm aware of. I
would like to see one instituted in the American junior leagues, as the NCAA
suggests . Right now, I'd agree that until the definitive verdict is in on
which is better, over agers should be able to wear the mask of their choice.
Still, Ben, the  information regarding facial and dental injuries is
conclusive. Regarding concussion, you read, despite having every protection
it happens anyway. In regard to lessening the occurrence of concussions, the
easiest and least expensive route would be to eliminate illegal play by
enforcing the rules and making penalties fit the deed.

See, I'm really not a "nutbar" after all.

Vicki